I took over the editorial and SEO strategy for a wellness brand, Daily Life. Although we were writing and publishing daily articles, we were not seeing much traction with Google rankings or organic traffic.
How do we create article content that generates interest, traffic, and propels the website up in Google rankings?
The current strategy relied on writers pitching whatever they wanted to write about without attention to trends or keywords.
Answer: Competitive analysis, SEO research, and a properly trained writing team.
The biggest problem with the daily articles is that they were not being optimized in any way. This included everything from the way titles and headers were being written to even just the topics themselves.
What Did I Do?
- Ongoing competitive analysis of what other wellness brands were writing on
- Implementation of SEO tools and research to guide article topics
- Implementation of writer briefs that included keywords and competitor articles to reference for each assignment
- Optimization of everything from titles and slugs to headers and meta descriptions
- Re-trained the writing team with an iniative I called The Morning Content – a monthly newsletter that included writing and editing tips, as well as SEO best practices
Basically, this was an entire overhaul of the editorial and SEO strategy for this brand. This was implemented starting June 2020.
Organic traffic for this website increased by 381% since January 2020 and began to attain more and more keyword positions on Google using the revamped editorial strategy.
- Spots 1-3 on Google → 269% growth
- Spots 4-10 on Google → 235% growth
- Spots 11-20 on Google → 201% growth
- Spots 21-50 on Google → 213% growth
- Spots 51-100 on Google → 167% growth
The new strategy also achieved the highest one-month average for page views and unique page views of all time in July 2020.