I was brought onto a global hotel chain account (based in Calgary) as a Content Marketing Specialist paired with an Account Manager at my firm. I was instructed on the brand guidelines, and it was up to me to put together social media schedules for both the Facebook and Instagram pages, as well as use engagement budget to strategically boost Facebook posts.
Overall Account Objective(s)
- To portray and showcase the Calgary Marriott Downtown Hotel as an innovative lifestyle brand that embodies the International Marriott vision and the Marriott brand voice.
- Maintain the existing Marriott brand strategy: “Travel Expands the Mind” and expand on the Marriott brand promise “Fostering your Ingenuity.”
Social Media Schedule: Marriott Social Media Schedule
How do I strategically grow an Instagram following, all while showcasing an aesthetically pleasing layout?
Answer: Utilize an effective content strategy which included…
- Relevant hashtags
- User-generated content
- Professional photography
- Travel “inspo”
- A consistent colour/photo theme
Before I took on the Instagram account, the Calgary Marriott sat at about 4-5K followers. In a few short months, I was able to grow the following to over 11K using a pleasing layout, and an effective hashtag strategy.
The Ultimate Calgary Cocktail Tour Campaign (launched late October 2017) reached more than 10,000 people, received over 90 likes, 14 shares and over 46 comments. I wrote the copy for this infographic guided by the Account Manager.
The Love #YYC Campaign in partnership with Tourism Calgary reached over 4,400 people, received over 105 likes, comments and shares. I designed the below graphic.
Northern Reflections Windows Exhibition Campaign In partnership with Buds of Buds, and a number of different artists and photographers, I was tasked with creating a mini campaign to promote the Northern Reflections Windows Exhibition during the month of December, 2017. Strategically using provided information, photos, and articles, I distributed content throughout the month on both Facebook and Instagram to showcase the campaign.
- 226 Facebook likes across all posts made regarding the exhibition.
- 146 Instagram likes across all posts made regarding the exhibition.
- 5,500+ people reached on Facebook through organic reach as well as advertising.
Influencer Collaborations As the Instagram grew, we were also able to attract social media influencers that were willing to partner with the hotel.
During my time as a Content Marketing Specialist, I scoped out a local influencer, and the Account Manager was able to secure them in a partnership. The partnership resulted in a gain of 800+ followers on the Calgary Marriott Instagram account.